The Coat of Arms of Rhineland-PalatinateTrier Cross - Mainz Wheel - Palatinate Lion
The coat of arms of the former three principalities Trier, Mainz and the Palatinate - the Trier Cross, the Mainz Wheel and the Palatinate Lion - still have their place in the Land's coat of arms today.
|The Trier coat of arms - a red cross on a silver background - was first officially recorded in the 13th century.|
|The silver wheel on a red background ist coat of arms of Mainz, the capital of Rhineland-Palatinate.|
|The red-crowned and red-armoured lion on a black background was originally found in the coat of arms of the Welphs, then in that of the Palatinate Count, an finally in that of the Palatinate Prince Elect.|
|The coat of arms bears a "People's Crown", a golden crown made of vine leaves, a symbol of national sovereignty. In 1948, the Land parliament approved the colours back-red-gold, a symbol of freedom and unity, as the colours of the Land flag. A faded black-red-gold Flag in the plenary hall of the Landtag still serves as a reminder of the struggle for freedom under these colours. This flag was part of the Hambach Festival of 1832 and is intended to serve as a conscious reminder of those democratic traditions.|